Expertise at University of Groningen
The University of Groningen and UMCG has an extensive expertise in the field of toxicity and pharmacokinetics of drugs within the different research units and discipline groups.
- Pharmacokinetics Toxicology & Targeting: physiological- based pharmacokinetic (PBPK) models (Dr. J.H. Proost) and in vitro prediction of metabolism, transport and toxicity of drugs in humans (Prof. Dr. G.M.M. Groothuis)
- Pharmaco-therapy, -epidemiology and -economy (Prof.Dr. E. Hak,): teratogenic effects of drugs
- Pharmacovigilance (Prof.dr. E. van Puijenbroek)
- Clinical Pharmacy and Pharmacology (Prof.Dr. D. Touw, Prof. Dr.J. Kosterink): drug monitoring in the patient, pharmacokinetics, population-pharmacokinetics pharmacokinetic-pharmacodynamic (PKPD) modeling, clinical toxicology and forensic toxicology.
- Cell biology (UMCG) (Prof.Dr. D. Hoekstra): cellular response to stress.
- Gastroenterology and Hepatology (UMCG) (Prof.Dr. H. Moshage and Prof.Dr. K.N. Faber): apoptosis and membrane transport.
Recognizability of track and distinguishing features from other Toxicology Masters
The Toxicology and Drug Disposition track distinguishes itself from related courses in the sense that it is specifically focused on drug toxicology and pharmacokinetics. This specifically involves the unwanted side effects of drugs and adverse drug reactions.